Stained Glass banner image

Featured Window

Window of the Month
Artist: David Wilson - St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Hartland, Michigan

Click any image to enlarge.




Building

St. Thomas Lutheran Church
santuary
Lutheran
1001 W. Ellsworth
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103
Washtenaw County
Web Address: stthomasfreedom.org

About

Date Built: 1874

Date of Alterations: 1965

Architect of Alterations: Wally Haab

Alterations Architect’s City: Ann Arbor, MI

Number of Non-pictorial Windows: 1

Building Notes: In 1833 the Basel Mission Institute of Switzerland sent Friedrich Schmid as its first missionary to the United States. Schmid is credited with founding some twenty churches in Michigan, including the Thomas Church. At first Thomas and Anna Roth hosted services in their home. In 1844 they sold land to the Thomas Church for a sanctuary. According to tradition the church was named for Thomas Roth. The present edifice comprises an 1874 church and 1965 additions. Services in German were held exclusively until 1935, then once per month until the late 1950s.

St. Thomas Lutheran Church
MSGC: 2011.0003

Census Coordinator:
Elisa L. Schulz
03/20/2011



Windows
Non-pictorial