Stained Glass banner image

Featured Window

Window of the Month
Artist: David Wilson - St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Hartland, Michigan

Click any image to enlarge.




Building

Historic St. Augustine Catholic Church
church
Catholic
6481 Faussett Rd.
Howell, Michigan 48855
Livingston County

About

Date Built: 1895

Architect: Harry J. Rill

Architect’s City: Detroit, MI

Building Notes: In 1938 the parish was transferred from the Detroit to the Lansing Diocese. The primary exterior alteration to the church is an outside entrance constructed of matching brick and stone salvaged from a church being demolished in Lansing and from nearby farms. It allowed direct access to the basement social area and provided a entrance vestibule. The original wood pews,with ornamental hymn book holders, remain in place. The buildings interior oak finish, including the pews, wainscoting, choir loft breast work, doors, and trim, were laboriously stripped and refinished with a clear sealer in the 1970's. The sanctuary area has been entirely remodeled including the removal of a wooden communion rail. The original Stations of the Cross with Gothic style wood frames remain in place on the side walls. The northeast sacristy at the front of the church contains a large dark stained wood vestment cabinet made by the Tiffin Manufacturing Company of Tiffin, Ohio and dates from the original church construction.

MSGC: 2008.0014