Stained Glass banner image

Featured Window

Window of the Month
St. Paul's Catholic Church, Onaway, Michigan: artists Peter and Christel Brahm

Click any image to enlarge.

Artist / Studio


Tiffany Studios
Corona, Queens, New York

Biography: In 1893 Tiffany built a new factory, called the Stourbridge Glass Company, later called Tiffany Glass Furnaces, which was located in Corona, Queens, New York. In 1893, his company also introduced the term, Favrile in conjunction with his first production of blown glass at his new glass factory. Some early examples of his lamps were exhibited in the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. He trademarked Favrile (from the old French word for handmade) on November 13, 1894. He later used this word to apply to all of his glass, enamel and pottery. Tiffany's first commercially produced lamps date from around 1895. Much of his company's production was in making stained glass windows and Tiffany lamps, but his company designed a complete range of interior decorations. At its peak, his factory employed more than 300 artisans. He used all his skills in the design of his own house, the 84-room Laurelton Hall, in Oyster Bay, Long Island, completed in 1905. Later this estate was donated to his foundation for art students along with 60 acres of land, sold in 1949, and was destroyed by a fire in 1957. The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park, Florida houses the world's most comprehensive collection of the works of Louis Comfort Tiffany, including Tiffany jewelry, pottery, paintings, art glass, leaded-glass windows, lamps, and the chapel interior he designed for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. After the close of the exposition, a generous benefactor purchased the entire chapel for installation in the crypt of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, New York in New York City. As construction on the cathedral continued, the chapel fell into disuse, and in 1916, Tiffany removed the bulk of it to Laurelton Hall. After the 1957 fire, the chapel was rescued by Hugh McKean, a former art student in 1930 at Laurelton Hall, and his wife Jeannette Genius McKean, and now occupies an entire wing of the Morse Museum which they founded. Many glass panels from Laurelton Hall are also there; for many years some were on display in local restaurants and businesses in Central Florida. Some were replaced by full-scale color transparencies after the museum opened. A major exhibit at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art on Laurelton Hall opened in November 2006. A new exhibit at the New-York Historical Society through 28 May 2007 features new information about the women who worked for Tiffany and their contribution to designs credited to Tiffany.[3] Tiffany maintained close ties with the family firm. The Tiffany Company sold many products produced by the studios. He became Artistic Director of Tiffany & Co. after his father's death in 1902. The Tiffany Studios remained in business until 1932.



     Tiffany, Louis Comfort
     Wilson, Frederick

Angel of Praise
Window Name: Angel of Praise
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Building Name and City: Christ Episcopal Church, Detroit
Ruth and Boaz
Window Name: Ruth and Boaz
Building Name and City: Temple Emanuel, Grand Rapids
Window Name: Madonna
Window Name: Salve
Building Name and City: Ella Sharp Museum, Jackson
Window Name: Vale
Building Name and City: Ella Sharp Museum, Jackson
Window Name: Angel
St. Cecilia
Window Name: St. Cecilia
Wightman Memorial
Window Name: Wightman Memorial
Building Name and City: Emmanuel Epsicopal Church, Hastings
Easter Morning
Window Name: Easter Morning
Archangel with Roman Soldier
Easter Morning
Window Name: Easter Morning
Resurrection Window
Building Name and City: First Presbyterian Church, Flint
The Muse of Music
Window Name: The Muse of Music
Building Name and City: The Beecher Mansion, Detroit
Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Me
Woman and Baby
Window Name: Woman and Baby
The Light of the World
The Resurrection detail
North Transept Window
Cherubs and a Harp
Window Name: Cherubs and a Harp
Shakespeare and Portia
Building Name and City: Ladies Literary Club, Grand Rapids
Cherubs and a Zither
St. Cecelia, Patroness of Music
Window Name: St. Cecelia, Patroness of Music
Apollo with his Lyre
Floral Window
Window Name: Floral Window
Window Name: Non-pictorial
Decorative window of scrolls and arabesques
The Explorer
Window Name: The Explorer
Window Name: Non-pictorial
Window Name: Forget-Me-Nots
Building Name and City: Trinity Episcopal Church, Monroe
Jesus is Known in the Breaking of the Bread
Building Name and City: Trinity Episcopal Church, Monroe
Tiffany Chandelier
Window Name: Tiffany Chandelier
The River Jordan
Window Name: The River Jordan
Narthex Windows
Window Name: Narthex Windows
Building Name and City: Milford Presbyterian Church, Milford
Woman and Child
Window Name: Woman and Child
Scallop Shell
Window Name: Scallop Shell
Christ and Sparrow
Window Name: Christ and Sparrow
Building Name and City: St. John's Episcopal Church, Detroit
Prayer of Good Shepherd
Building Name and City: St. John's Episcopal Church, Detroit
Saint Agnes
Window Name: Saint Agnes
Building Name and City: St. John's Episcopal Church, Detroit
Resurrection Angel
Window Name: Resurrection Angel
Building Name and City: Christ Church Detroit, Detroit
Alpha and Omega
Window Name: Alpha and Omega
Building Name and City: Christ Church Detroit, Detroit