Stained Glass banner image

Featured Window

Window of the Month
St. Paul's Catholic Church, Onaway, Michigan: artists Peter and Christel Brahm

Click any image to enlarge.


Building Name: St. John's Episcopal Church

Studio Name: Willet Hauser Architectural Glass

City: Royal Oak

Window Shape: 2 (rectangle)

Date of Window: 1946

Subject/Title of Window: Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy

Brief Description of Subject: This window was designed for this parish's Gothic styled church which opened in 1926. Subsequently the congregation needed a larger space and replaced this Church with a modern styled church which opened in 1957, taking the stained glass windows to the new church. This window is located on the second level of the Gospel side transept.

This is the "St. Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy Window," and is bordered with geometric patterns as well as pictures of animals, boats, angels, buildings, et al.

The top level depicts an angel holding a shield with the word "John" and a quill pen. This comes from a story about St. Elizabeth, her husband Zecharias and their son John the Baptist as found in Luke 1 --- An angel had appeared to Zecharias and told him his wife was going to bear a child and he was to name him "John." Since his wife was beyond child bearing years, he asked the angel for a sign and he immediately was struck dumb. The child was born and at his circumcision, they wondered, "What should be the child's name?" Zecharias asked for a writing tablet and wrote, "His name is JOHN," and immediately he was able to speak.

Below this a scene taken from Luke 1:39 - 56, the "Visitation." The Virgin Mary comes to the home of Zecharias and Elizabeth to help her through the last 3 months of pregnancy with John, and upon entering greets Elizabeth. "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit," Verse 41 NIV.

The figures below the scene are Elizabeth and her son John the Baptist who is dressed partly in camel's hair clothing (Matthew 3:4).

The memorial inscription has been removed so that the window could fit into its present location in the new Church. According to Church records, this window was given in memory of William David Faff by his parents Mr. and Mrs William M. Faff and dedicated on January 27, 1946.

Inscriptions: The Visitation
St. Elizabeth

Condition of Window: Good

Type of Glass and Technique: Lead Came

Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy
Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy
Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy top
Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy top
Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy bottom
Elizabeth and John the Baptist as a Boy bottom

The MSGC is a constantly evolving database. Not all the data that has been collected by volunteers has been sorted and entered. Not every building has been completely documented.

All images in the Index are either born-digital photographs of windows or buildings or are scans of slides, prints, or other published sources. These images have been provided by volunteers and the quality of the material varies widely.

If you have any questions, additions or corrections, or think you can provide better images and are willing to share them, please contact