Featured Windows, March 1999
Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, MI
Building: Meadow Brook Hall
This window depicting a medieval stained glass painter is one of several windows that represent artisans and scholars of the middle ages, installed in the library of the Tudor-style mansion of Alfred G. and Mathilda Dodge Wilson. The library windows of Meadow Brook Hall were made by the G. Owen Bonawit Studios in New York. Other windows in the same series depict the figures of a medieval architect, astronomer, scribe, writer, astrologer and sculptor.
Designed by William E. Kapp of the Detroit architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls and completed in 1929, Meadow Brook Hall was based on sixteenth and seventeenth-century English manor houses. In 1957 the Wilsons donated their estate and home to Michigan State University for the founding of a new college, Oakland University. Now used as a conference and cultural center, Meadow Brook Hall is listed on Michigan's State Register of Historic Sites.
Meadow Brook Hall of Rochester was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Francoise S. Harrod of West Bloomfield.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, March , 1999.