Featured Windows, March 2002
Little Stone Church Windows
Building: Little Stone Church, Union Congregational Church
City: Mackinac Island
Scenes representing the history of Mackinac Island.
These three windows at the Little Stone Church represent scenes in the history of Mackinac Island.November 1997 and September 1998. Known formally as Union Congregational Church, the Little Stone Church was built of local stone in 1905 by the Union Church Society, which had organized in August of 1899. The architect was Asbury W. Buckley of Chicago and the contractor was Koepke Brothers of Petoskey. During its early years, the church was served by Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational ministers. Its formal name reflects the ecumenical spirit of the founders and their leaders. The Little Stone Church, a registered Michigan Historic Site, celebrated the centennial of its founding congregation in 1999. Little Stone Church of Mackinac Island was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Lorabeth Fitzgerald of Grand Ledge.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, March , 2002.