Featured Windows, August 1998
First United Methodist Church, Ypsilanti, MI
Building: First United Methodist Church
The magnificent opalescent Comstock Memorial Window at First United Methodist Church soars twenty-five feet high above the choir area of the sanctuary. It was installed in 1892 when the church was built but remained nearly hidden by organ pipes until 1928, when a new organ and relocation of the pipes allowed the window to be fully appreciated. The ornamental design uses a color scheme dominated by gold and blue.
The Gothic Revival church was designed by architects Weary and Kramer of Akron, Ohio, in the so-called "Akron Plan," which combines two auditoriums that can be used separately or together. Its windows were created by the Chicago firm of George A. Misch and Sons, which produced stained glass windows for many churches in Chicago and the Midwest from 1864 to 1903.
First United Methodist Church of Ypsilanti was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Heather O'Hara, an Eastern Michigan University student.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, August , 1998.