Featured Windows, August 2002
Kirk in the Hills Windows
Building: Kirk in the Hills
City: Bloomfield Hills
The glass walls of the Cloister at the Kirk in the Hills contain twenty-one stained glass portrait medallions of Christian leaders throughout the centuries, arranged in groups of three within the Cloister's seven bays.November 1997, December 1999, and July 2002. Kirk in the Hills and its grounds were a gift to the Presbytery of Detroit from Colonel Edwin S. George, a Detroit businessman who established a foundation to provide for the building's construction. Designed by Detroit architect Wirt C. Rowland, the Gothic style structure was patterned after the ancient ruins of Melrose Abbey in Scotland. After Rowland's premature death in 1946, the work was continued by the Detroit architectural firm of George D. Mason & Co. Services were held in the Undercroft as early as 1952. Shortly before the completion of the sanctuary in 1957, lightning caused a disastrous fire that destroyed most of the roof and much of the interior. After a year of reconstruction, the sanctuary and tower were completed in November of 1958. The abbey and refectory areas were finished later in 1964. The Cloister containing these windows was built onto Colonel George's original mansion, which is part of the entire complex. Stained glass windows created by the Boston studios of Joseph G. Reynolds and Associates and Wilbur H. Burnham are located in other parts of the Kirk. Kirk in the Hills of Bloomfield Hills was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Crystal Thomas and Virginia Vieira of Commerce Township.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, August , 2002.