Featured Windows, September 2004
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church Windows
Building: St. Thomas Aquinas Church
These nave windows at St. Thomas Aquinas Church are part of a series of windows that depict the biblical creation story as told in the Book of Genesis.April 2001. St. Thomas Aquinas parish began in the late 1880s when Polish families moved into the area to work for logging companies. The first church, a small frame structure, was built in 1895. The present brick church and rectory, completed in 1954 under the leadership of Father Ceslaus Klimowicz, were constructed by the parishioners themselves, after a plan drawn up by carpenter Joseph Dzwik, mason Peter Nowak and store owner Frank Zaremba. In addition to donating their labor, many of the parishioners set aside one or more acres of their potato farms for the growing of "Holy Potatoes" to benefit the church. A major remodeling project in 1979 involved installation of the twelve windows created by Tom Woodruff, who also carved a nine-foot wooden Christ figure for the sanctuary. The church was rededicated on August 12, 1979. St. Thomas Aquinas Church was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Mary Kucharek of Elmira.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, September , 2004.