Featured Windows, December 2001
West Side United Methodist Church Windows
Building: West Side United Methodist Church
City: Ann Arbor
This two-panel Nativity Window at West Side United Methodist Church represents two scenes in the familiar Christmas story.
In the left panel an angel tells the "good news" of Jesus' birth to shepherds on the hillside and directs them to follow the star to Bethlehem.
The right panel depicts Mary, Joseph and the infant Jesus in a Bethlehem stable, where they have taken shelter after finding no room available at the inn.
Built in 1951, West Side United Methodist Church was designed by Colvin, Roberson & Associates of Ann Arbor. Most of its stained glass windows were created by the Willet Stained Glass Studios of Philadelphia and installed in 1971. The Nativity Window and several other windows of the church were designed by Marguerite Gaudin, one of Willet's leading designers. To see additional stained glass interpretations of the Christmas story, visit the Windows of the Month for December 2000
, December 1999
, December 1998
and December 1997.
West Side United Methodist Church of Ann Arbor was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Donald and Marie Olsen of Ann Arbor.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, December , 2001.