Featured Windows, December 2004
Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church Windows
Building: Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church
City: Grosse Pointe Farms
These two windows are among the sixteen stained glass windows created for the new sanctuary of Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church, which was founded in 1945. Completed in 2000, the sanctuary was designed by Constantine George Pappas, AIA Architecture/Planning of Troy, Michigan. A longtime Detroiter and graduate of the Lawrence Institute of Technology, Pappas is nationally known for his religious architecture and in 2002 was elected to the College of Fellows of The American Institute of Architects (AIA). AIA Detroit has recognized the new sanctuary with an Honor Award for design excellence.Guided by liturgical consultant Father Mark Joseph Costello of Chicago, the window selection committee chose the eighteenth-century hymns of Charles and John Wesley, founders of the Methodist Church, as the unifying theme of the windows, a theme that also reflects the congregation's great interest in music. Six windows on the left side of the sanctuary, based on Old Testament events, are paired with six windows on the right side, representing events described in the New Testament. Each pair of windows is associated with one of the many hymns written by the Wesley brothers. The square window designs appear to "float" in surrounding colorless glass, which allows views of the out-of-doors. Four other stained glass windows are located above the altar, in the narthex and at the rear of the sanctuary. The new windows were dedicated at the New Building Consecration held on Sunday, October 15, 2000.
Bibliography: Show Bibliography
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, December , 2004.