Stained Glass banner image

Featured Window

Window of the Month
Our Lady of Grace, Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Click any image to enlarge.




Building

St. Peter's Episcopal Church
church
Episcopal
1950 Trumbull
Detroit, Michigan
Wayne County
Web Address: https://www.stpetersdetroit.com/

About

Date Built: 1929

Architect: Harley and Ellington

Architect’s City: Detroit

Number of Pictorial Windows: 7

Floor Plan Sketch: Download


Building Notes: The Episcopal Bishop of Michigan saw the need of a church for an increasing number of Irish immigrants caused by the Great Famine. In 1858 he convinced men from St. Paul's to form a church in an area now called "Corktown" for the many Irish immigrants from County Cork that had recently settled there. Their first church, built in 1860, burned to the ground but was quickly rebuilt and opened in 1861. By the early 1920's, this wooden church was beyond repair and plans were made to build a Parish House with a chapel, as well as a new Church. Construction on the Parish House and chapel was completed in 1927, and the building of the connecting church was started. By 1929 this Gothic Revival church was completed enough to hold services, but with the onset of the Great Depression further construction was halted, and has never resumed, leaving the interior unfinished.

https://projects.kora.matrix.msu.edu/files/208-794-16619/22.0001-ext.jpg
St. Peter's Episcopal
MSGC: 22.0001

Census Coordinator:
Michael Surdyk



Studio Name
Powell (James) & Sons (Whitefriars)

Windows
Charity of Dorcas and Jesus Teaching Nicodemus
St. Peter Baptizing Cornelius
Baptism of Christ
IHS Chapel Window
John the Evangelist Chapel Window
Alpha and Omega Chapel Window
Te Deum Chancel Window