BuildingSt. Andrew Cathedral (and St. Ambrose Chapel)
267 Sheldon S.E.
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503
Web Address: http://www.cathedralofsaintandrew.org/
AboutDate Built: 1876
Architect: John Grady
Architect’s City: Grand Rapids, MI
Date of Alterations: 1901
Architect of Alterations: Erhard Brielmaier and Sons; Harry Mead
Alterations Architect’s City: Milwaukee, WI; Grand Rapids
Number of Pictorial Windows: 28
Number of Non-pictorial Windows: 10
Archival Sources: John W. McGee: St. Andrew's Church: 1876-1976, Grand Rapids, 1976. Charles W. Popell, St. Andrew's Church: 1876-1976, Grand Rapids, 1976. St. Ambrose Chapel of St. Andrew Cathedral, 267 Sheldon S.E., Grand Rapids, MI 49503 Contact person: Anne Gurecki, business mgr. Phone: 616-456-1454 Constructed: 1963 Architect: Harry Mead, Grand Rapids Pictorial windows: 6 Non-pictorial: 2 Charles W. Popell: St. Andrews Church: 1876-1976, Grand Rapids, 1976, pp. 25-29.
Building Notes: Designed by Grand Rapids architect John Grady, the original church was completed in 1876 and named as a cathedral in 1883. After a fire in 1901, reconstruction on a larger scale followed the Gothic Revival plans of Ernest Brielmaier and Sons of Milwaukee. Later additions in 1938, 1961 and 1980-81 added even more space and features.
Window of the Month December 2002
Window of the Month October 2005
Window of the Month January 2008
Cathedral of St. AndrewMSGC: 1995.0028
Thomas R. Bochniak
Zettler (F. X.) Studios
Mayer (Franz) and Company
The Giving of the Keys to Peter
The Raising of Lazarus
Presentation of the Child Jesus in the Temple