Featured Windows, March 2001
First Congregational United Church of Christ
Building: First Congregational United Church of Christ
The central panel of this memorial window depicts two women on a stone terrace. One woman guides the other, an apparent newcomer, up the terrace steps toward an unseen destination. The elaborate border panels feature lilies and fleur de lis motifs, symbols of purity. An inscription below the central panel reads: "Peters Memorial. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. They rest from their labors; and their works do follow them. Revelation 13:14."
Designed by Chicago architects William Le Baron Jenney and William Otis in the Romanesque style, the church was built of red brick, ornamental terracotta and limestone, and was completed in 1892. The 19-foot high window, attributed by the church to Tiffany Studios, was created in 1898 and installed in 1901. It was given by R. G. Peters in memory of his wife.
First Congregational United Church of Christ of Manistee was registered in the Michigan Stained Glass Census by Jane P. Cole of Manistee.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, March , 2001.