Featured Windows, June 2002
Beecher Mansion, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
Building: The Beecher Mansion
This central panel of a six-panel opalescent window is located in the Beecher Mansion on the campus of Wayne State University.
The entire window overlooks the first floor landing of the mansion's grand staircase. The central panel's toga-clad figure, which may represent the Muse of Music, holds Cupid, who plays a reed instrument while white doves hover in the foreground. Bars of musical notes in two of the flanking panels have been identified as melodies from the "Star Spangled Banner" and "There's No Place Like Home." Designed by Frederick Wilson and made by the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company, the window was installed in 1894. It was removed and restored in 1994 by Restoration Specialists, Inc., of New Jersey, under the direction of Arthur J. Femenella.
Built in 1893, the yellow brick and limestone Beecher Mansion was designed by Detroit architect H.J.Maxwell Grylls for George L. Beecher. Today the building houses Wayne's Office of University Development.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, June , 2002.