Featured Windows, December 1999
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church Window
Building: Saints Peter and Paul Church
The magnificent eighteen-foot high Nativity Window at Saints Peter and Paul Church presents the entire cast of the Christmas story in five panels. Joseph and Mary with the baby Jesus occupy the central panel, surrounded by shepherds in the right panels and the wise men at the left. A heavenly angel, resting upon clouds, hovers above the Holy Family. Other stained glass interpretations of the Christmas story can be seen by visiting the Windows of the Month for December 1998 and December 1997.
The brick Romanesque Revival church was designed by Detroit architect Peter Dederichs and dedicated in 1882. The original windows were created by the Detroit firm of Friedericks & Staffin, renamed the Detroit Stained Glass Works in 1914. During an extensive remodeling of the building in 1916, east and west transepts were added and the Detroit Stained Glass Works provided the transept windows. To view another window by the same firm, visit the Window of the Month for November 1997.
Text by Betty MacDowell, Michigan Stained Glass Census, December , 1999.